Glasgow in acrobatics spectacular

Suzi Higton

Glasgow illustrated its credibility as a sporting host city ahead of the 2014 Commonwealth Games, by staging the 21st World Acrobatics Championships as well as the 5th International Age group Competition at the Kelvin Hall arena.

The event which was supported by Event Scotland and organised by Glasgow City Culture and Sport attracted competitors from 31 countries, the largest gathering of gymnasts since the Beijing Olympics. The event saw both dynamic and balance disciplines with spectacular and colourful routines for packed audiences at finals weekend.

Britain’s gymnasts finished second in the medals table, winning three golds, four silvers and bronze in the Age Group Competition behind Russia who dominated with magnificent displays of agility and precision in both the mixed and women’s groups.

The best of young British was headed by nineteen year old Louis Smith who won bronze in the pommel horse event at the Beijing games, Britain’s first medal in gymnastics in 100 years. In a bid to encourage spectators, SPT offered free underground travel to and from the event to those who had bought tickets in advance for the competition.

Councillor Archie Graham, Glasgow City Council’s Executive Member for Culture and Sport, said: “The championsips were a great success, with a full house on Sunday watching the final. This goes to show, once again, that Glasgow is more than capable of hosting major, world-class sporting events.

Athletes from across the world descended on the Kelvin Hall as they battled in their categories.” He added: “As a city, we’re now counting down the days until we host the Commonwealth Games in 2014.”