Seats left vacant in student elections

News Staff

Student bodies at Glasgow University have announced the nominations for their upcoming elections, and a number of governing positions have been left without candidates.

The elections for all four of the organisations will be taking place this week, although many of the important jobs have no students running for them.

The Students’ Representative Council (SRC), Glasgow University Union (GUU) and Queen Margaret Union (QMU) will be holding by-elections later in the month for some of their most crucial spaces, after the initial nominations process resulted in too few applicants.

15 out of 20 positions at the SRC have been left either uncontested or unfilled.

Both the SRC and GUU have only one candidate for their President. The SRC will be holding an election with just one nominee, Laura Laws, while the union has announced its new president, Chris Jubb, ahead of the elections.

The QMU has three candidates for its presidency, but a number of  other board positions are currently without nominees.

In contrast, GUSA’s elections are set to be one of their most-contested for years, with two students competing for its head position and 20 nominees for the six Ordinary Member places available.

For more on the upcoming student elections, follow links to the following articles:

SRC lacks representation

GUSA elections attract competition

GUU declares by-election

Three run for QMU top job