Get involved: Anyone for Tennis?

ANYONE  WHO  WATCHED Andy Murray’s poor showing at the Australian Open Final may have found a new meaning for the phrase “new balls please”.

If you think you could do any better and want to be the next Tennis superstar then the Glasgow University Tennis Club (GUT) might be for you. They have 125 members and play from 1-4pm on Mondays , Wednesdays and Fridays at Downahill tennis courts on Dowanside Road. They also play on Sunday evenings at the David Lloyd Centre in Anniesland.

Both the Wednesday and Sunday sessions are coached by David Knox and is for all skill levels. Anyone can join GUT and the annual membership is only £35, making the sport affordable and accessible.

The club caters for anyone and everyone. Wheter you are a complete novice or a rising star, the tennis club welcomes a wide range of abilities in what is becoming one of the fastest growing clubs on campus. The club aims to expand and promote itself not just as a sports club, but also as afun, welcoming association. With the recent increase in membership, this demonstrates their ambitions.

Of course it’s not all about the tennis. Training sessions are usually followed by socialising and activities. Off court the club keep themselves busy raising money for charities and various sponsored events.

For those wanting to compete the club have a 1st and 2nd team, who both finished top of the Scottish leagues recently. This year, for the first time, the club ahve 4 teams participating in National leagues and with extra coaching and indoor sessions, they are hoping for another strong finish in their respective league tables.

If you fancy checking GUT out ,the teams have upcoming competitions including: Men’s 1st Team on the 9th of February away to Leeds . Closer to home the Men’s 2nd Team play on the 9th of February at home (David Lloyd Centre, Anniesland) to Strathclyde University at 12pm.The Woman’s 1st Team also play on the 9th of February (David Lloyd Centre, Anniesland), they are at home to Leeds University at matches start at 12pm.

For more information on the Tennis club visit their website at http://www.gutennis.co.uk/ for further details.