LGBT Society cancel dinner at GUU

Louise Wilson

Glasgow University LGBT Society have taken the decision to cancel their Farewell Dinner, being hosted at GUU, in light of the recent events.

In addition to the Farewell Dinner, which was scheduled to take place next Wednesday 13th March, GULGBT also announced that all future events would be cancelled in the interest of its members.

The following statement was released on Facebook by the GU LGBT page: “It is with regret that we announce the cancellation of our Farewell Dinner next Wednesday. Following from the recent events at the GUU we have decided that in the interests of the welfare of all of our members that we would have to cancel all future events scheduled to be held at the GUU for the time-being.”

The committee and members will meet tonight to discuss future involvement with the GUU. The possibility of disaffiliating will be discussed. However, the Society have said that if they do disaffiliate, contact channels between themselves and the GUU will remain open so the Union is able to provide support if issues of homophobia, biphobia and transphobia arise.

Lauren McDougall, President of the GULGBT Society, said: “We feel that it is our responsibility as a welfare society to ensure that spaces on campus are safe and welcoming for all students and visitors. GULGBT has held several large scale events in the GUU this year which have been positive and well attended. We hope that this can continue in the future, but with the welfare of our members in mind we need to ensure change is actioned.”

A number of societies across the University have already chosen to disaffiliate from the Union. These include GU Feminist Society, GU Politics Society and the Hispanic Society. Student Theatre at Glasgow (STaG) also decided to move last night’s fundraiser away from the GUU.