New Nike partnership for GUSA

Stuart Morrison

Glasgow University Sports & Recreation services have entered into a partnership with Nike and Kitlocker to reduce waiting times and improve the quality of kit used by clubs and individuals affiliated with GUSA.

Previously there have been several issues with many students not receiving kit they ordered at the start of the first semester until the end of the academic year. The new deal is expected to heavily reduce these waiting times.

GUSA President Stuart Law hopes the improved clothing will instil a sense of community at Glasgow. He explained: “Not only will our athletes benefit from the innovative sports clothing provided by Nike, the unique branding and colours will mean everyone can be a part of the sporting community at Glasgow University and feel proud of the success we enjoy.”

The partnership is the first of its kind in Scotland. The new website will be run by Kitlocker, offering an option of personalised clothing for students and staff. A new retail space has also been opened in the Stevenson building.

The Director of Kitlocker, Tom Ward, is looking forward to working alongside Nike and the Sports & Recreation Services. He commented: “We are excited about providing high quality Nike products to all the different user groups at the University. The branding, colours and design will create a strong look and identity for the university going forward.”

The new kit deal comes alongside the University’s continuing £9 million investment in sport infrastructure, including the much anticipated extension to the Stevenson Building scheduled for completion by summer 2014.

Chris Donachie, Nike UK Team Manager, expressed excitement about this partnership. He said: “It’s an exciting time for everyone who loves sport at Glasgow given the investment into facilities here.  Hopefully, the introduction of the Nike brand and our innovative products will help give all those who represent the University a competitive edge and the wider sports community at greater sense of identity.”

Glasgow University’s provision of sport continues to go from strength to strength and this new partnership is a sign of the exciting future ahead for sport at every level within the University.