Open letter from GU Mental Health to the SRC

Dear President & Permanent Secretary,

It has come to my attention that the SRC Mental Health Equality Officer has been removed from his position due to his university enrollment status.

I would be most appreciative if you could confirm whether this is the case and, in addition, explain the circumstances in which this decision has come to be taken, especially so late in the academic year and after the last Council meeting.

I want to applaud the SRC for taking an active role in ensuring committee members are active participants, who fulfil their constitutional and elected responsibilities. However, I have come to believe that there was an understanding between the SRC Executive and the MHEO regarding his enrollment status, and that this was not only acknowledged but accepted without disciplinary repercussions. Is this understanding false?

I am also concerned that the SRC is taking action regarding dismissal of Council members without informing the student body. There has been no statement provided by the SRC on this matter and I am concerned that this lack of transparency is promoting the view that the SRC is disconnected from the students it serves. If the SRC hope to campaign for greater engagement with the student body I hope that it begins by informing students about relevant actions it undertakes, especially in this circumstance with the removal of an elected student officer. I hope the SRC recognises this lack of communication as a failure on its part.

Please can you provide clarification to these questions, as I am very concerned about the context of this situation. I have long been a strong supporter of the SRC, with an eager anticipation of future reforms, but I am worried about the lack of clarity regarding the dismissal of a representative who is essential for promotion of student mental welfare on campus.

Thank you for your time and I look forward to your quick response.

Yours Sincerely,

Hannah Gower, GU Mental Health

GU Mental Health is an online platform that uses social media to direct students to information on mental health support, services and events at Glasgow University.