Students left without home after pre-paid flats fail to open

Vita Accomodation

Vita Accomodation

Katy Scott

Around 100 students have been left facing an uncertain start to term after a pre-paid flat development failed to open.

The private student accommodation in Partick was originally intended to open in September 2016. This was postponed until November and the company decided to house students in hotels as temporary accommodation.

It has now been revealed that the £67 million accommodation by Vita Student will not open until September 2017.
Around 100 international students have now contacted private accommodation agencies to secure immediate housing.
The company paid for the students affected to be housed in Glasgow’s Hilton and Jury’s Inn hotels, with an undisclosed rate per day of money for food and other essentials until work at the site was complete.

A Glasgow University spokesman said: “The safety and well-being of all our students is paramount to the University, and we are doing all that we can to support those students affected.

“Although this involves private accommodation which is totally separate to the University, we would encourage any student who has concerns to immediately contact the University’s Accommodation Office, where we will do all we can to assist in any way possible.”

A spokesman for Select Property Group, which owns Vita Student, said: “Regrettably our Vita Student residence at Beith Street was not ready for occupation at the start of the academic year as it did not meet the high standards we expect for customers.

“We have offered three options to students to ensure they have a choice to meet their needs. Students have the ability to extend their stay in their hotel for a reasonable amount of time, they can find alternative accommodation themselves and will receive a refund, or Vita Student will find alternative accommodation for them and move their belongings there.

“We apologise to all students affected. Our Vita Student Glasgow residence will remain closed for the rest of the academic year, with the doors opening to customers in September 2017.”