QMU Building
Credit: The Glasgow Guardian

QMU Nominations for 2017 Elections Announced

Credit: Anon. – QMU

Wallis Spence
Deputy News Editor

The final nominations for Queen Margaret Union (QMU) Elections have been announced today as of 4pm.

Voting is open between 1 – 2 March and QMU Hustings event will take place at 6pm on 27 February in Jim’s Bar.

There are 21 candidates standing for 16 available positions.

Five candidates are running for President. Candidates include Megan Davies, who stood on the QMU board last year as Campaigns & Charities Convener, Anya Owen, former catering assistant at QMU, Nour El-Issa, online editor of Qmunicate, Priya Khindria, who ran for the position of Honorary Secretary last year and who has served as Current Student’s Representative (CSR) and Convenor of CSR, and, Peter Dobbins, neuroscience student.

Five candidates will remain unopposed, totalling 31% of positions. This includes last year’s CSR, Mata Durkin, who is now unattested for the position as Vice President of Board of Management.

Maggie Brunker, who ran for the position of CSR last year, is now the only candidate running for Social Convenor.

Two candidates are running for the position of Vice President of Membership, Clubs and Societies. Mike Setchell was the previous Events Convenor for QMU in 2016, and is running against UnaMarie Darragh, former Vice President of Student Support and Students with Disabilities Officer of the Student Representative Council (SRC).

The positions of Current Student Representatives received less nominations than required, with four seats and only three candidates for the 12 month position, and three seats with only one candidate for the six month position.

For the full list of those nominated, please visit the QMU website or Facebook page.