Credit: Thomas Nugent

Four candidates to attend hustings as Dr Leif Azzopardi announces his withdrawal

Credit: Thomas Nugent

Kate Snowdon
Editor

Dr Leif Azzopardi has confirmed he has now dropped out of the runnings for the next Glasgow University Rector. In a statement to the Glasgow Guardian his campaign team said: “Unfortunately Dr Leif Azzopardi will not be attending tonight, due to withdrawing from the election”. This is the second candidate to withdraw from the race, following Graeme Eddolls.

Aamer Anwar, Sir Vince Cable, Duncan Logie, and Jonathan “JJ” Tease have been confirmed as attending, and will be the only four candidates in attendance, out of the ten remaining nominees.

The Rectorial hustings are scheduled for March 16 at 5:30pm in Bute Hall. Questions may be asked of attendees, including those who have sent representatives.

It has been confirmed that Brace Belden, Lady Hazel Cosgrove, John Lindberg, Professor Jordan Peterson, and Thomas Hind will all be sending representatives in their stead.

Hind will be represented by Ryan Fox at the hustings tonight, Cosgrove by Vice President Student Support, Erin Ross, Lindberg by Cameron Mackay, a student at Glasgow, and Peterson by Amy Clarke, another GU student. Joseph Lee will be reading a statement on behalf of the Belden campaign then returning to the Anti-Fascist rally organised by the Glasgow University Anarchist Student Group .

It remains unclear whether Milo Yiannopoulos will attend, as he has yet to confirm this with any student media outlet. SRC President Ameer Ibrahim said of Yiannopoulos’ attendance “we cannot extend confirmation at this time”.

Tickets for the Rector hustings event are free but sold out on the day of release.