Most affordable Easter holiday getaways

Credit: Nilah Ulhaq

All you need to know about the cheapest and most exciting holiday destinations in April, perfect as a post-deadline treat
Katie Heeps

With the much anticipated Easter holidays drawing near and classes finishing up at the end of March, why not jet off to one of the exciting places listed below? A return flight will cost you £60 or less.

Dublin

Birthplace of countless iconic musicians and bands including Snow Patrol, The Script, U2, Sinéad O’Connor and Van Morrison, Ireland is steeped in musical history. At £25 for a return ticket from Glasgow to Dublin, it is the cheapest place we checked for a quick getaway. If live music is your thing, head down to the Temple Bar area where you can find some of the oldest and most iconic venues and bars, including The Porterhouse, The Quays Bar, The Auld Dubliner and The Temple Bar Pub itself. During the day (if you have overcome your hangover from the night before), Dublin offers a whole host of cultural attractions including Kilmainham Gaol and Phoenix Park. Stop by the Guinness Storehouse, built in the shape of a seven-storey pint glass, where you can learn more about the production of Ireland’s most famous export and try a pint at the end of the tour.

When it comes to beautiful campuses, Glasgow may have met its rival in the stunning Trinity College. While you’re there make a point of seeing the Book of Kells, which dates back to around 800AD – it’s one of the finest examples of early insular manuscripts we have today. A little down the road you can find the Oscar Wilde house and monument if you fancy paying homage to one of the literary greats on your trip.

Barcelona

After a long term of deadlines, Barcelona may seem like an appealing prospect for some much needed rest and recuperation. Famous for its long, sandy beaches and with average April temperatures of 17 degrees, there is plenty of opportunity to catch up on some Vitamin D.

Venturing away from the beach and into the old town you can orientate yourself using La Rambla, the long winding thoroughfare which takes you from the Placa de Catalonia (the central plaza) to Port Veil, and acts as the central artery to the whole city. While this area is saturated with restaurants, most of Barcelona’s best seafood and quaintest restaurants can be found in the Born District, making it worth venturing off the beaten track. Keep an eye out for the paella and sangria the city is famous for, but also for the sweet treat Creme de Catalonia which doesn’t taste the same anywhere else. If you are there towards the end of April you might catch “La Feria de Abril de Catalunya,” a carnival-esque celebration which takes place every year. An explosion of colourful tents, music and traditional flamenco dancing makes April in Barcelona particularly exciting.

Rome

It may be surprising, but Rome also appears on the list of places you can visit for less than £60 in April. Easter in Rome is an exciting time as many pilgrims come to the city to watch the Pope give mass on Easter Sunday (you must apply to the Vatican for tickets to this event). There is also a whole host of events in the week preceding. For a chance of seeing the Pope perform mass, you are best to attend his morning mass in St Peter’s Basilica on the Thursday preceding Easter. On Good Friday the Pope leads “the stations of the cross” near the Colosseum, a ritual procession featuring a cross with burning lights which aims to celebrate the fourteen stages of Christ’s passion. It is said to be a moving and unique experience, even for those who are not religious. On Good Friday everything is open as normal, however Easter Monday is a national holiday and as such banks, local shops and the majority of restaurants are closed. Luckily, many main tourist sights such as the Colosseum and the Roman Forum are open as normal on Easter Monday, making it an ideal day for some sightseeing.