Scotrail to increase rail fares in January

Credit: Unsplash

Ollie Rudden
Deputy News Editor

ScotRail has announced that rail fares are to increase this January.

The increase in fares are set to begin on 2 January, with fares in Scotland increasing by 2.4%. The UK average increase is around 2.7%.

Season tickets for travel between Glasgow and Edinburgh will increase by £114, bringing the total to £4,198.

Statistics from the Office of Rail and Road show that rail fares have increased by 21% since the privatisation of the railways in January 1995.

The Scottish Government have regulation over 45% of rail fares but the remaining 55% are decided by Scotrail.

Rises in rail fares are calculated by pegging them to the July Retail Prices Index (RPI) measure of inflation, which this year was 2.8%. “Off-peak” fares are calculated differently, increasing by RIP minus 1%.

Despite unhappiness with the increase in fares, ScotRail increases this January are among the lowest across the railway network, while others, such as Chiltern Railways, are as high as 3%.