Credit: Olivia Marrins

Review: Brooke Combe @ The Garage

By Olivia Marrins

Music Editor Olivia reflects on Brooke Combe’s tantalising spectacle.

Brooke Combe implemented her infatuation with soul music in the set of her sold out Glasgow show. Having only been prompted by a high school teacher to practise singing as part of her Advanced Higher music course, Brooke Combe captured the audience solely with the natural raw versatility of her vocals.

As the notorious nightclub filled with hometown supporters and pop-soul enthusiasts, anticipation rang from the stage set to the bar. Instrumental soulful sounds filled the room as Brooke and her band took to the stage, filtering the energy through the crowd from the first chord of A-Game. The singer’s stage presence intensified the authentic attitude she holds in her image, and it became even more unsurprising that she has supported tours for the likes of Michael Kiwanuka and Alex Turner.

The mastery of a great cover song has been perfected by Combe. Her cover of both the Arctic Monkeys indie hit Why Do You Only Call Me When You’re High? and Angie Stone’s soulful classic Wish I Didn’t Miss You Anymore infected the audience with a danceable familiarity. The electrified chanting pervaded the floor as fans took comfort in engaging with those around them, and watched Brooke Combe herself be a part of this shared experience.

Her single Miss Me Now showed the rarity of her talented songwriting, with the crowd engrossed in the sonorous hook of the bassline and poignant lyrics in the vocals. The fervent groove that followed in Are You with Me engaged the audience, with a question begging to be answered in the triumphant storytelling within the verses.

Brooke Combe’s performance at Garage last Friday was at the very least a tantalising glimpse of the success she will experience in the upcoming years. With more solo tracks to be released, her impassioned vocals bid a welcome to her artistry and songwriting, which is sure to extend beyond her current tour.