Credit: takethatphoto

GU Badminton shortlisted for Club of the Year BUCS Awards 2023

By Natasha Coyle

After winning Club of the Year at GUSA Ball, Glasgow University Badminton Club is shortlisted for Club of the Year at the 2023 BUCS Awards.

Glasgow University Badminton Club has been shortlisted for Club of the Year at the 2023 BUCS Awards. They are one of five nominations up for the prized award.

The 2023 BUCS Awards celebrate the very best of university sport over the 2022–23 season. The Club of the Year Award celebrates a club that has demonstrated a commitment to club development, engagement and support of members, which has resulted in improving the university sport experience. The award is also for a club that focused on development achievements and not specifically on performance success.

Vice-Captain for the 2022/23 season Alastair Campbell commented on how proud he is of the club’s achievements.

“When I think about how many universities and colleges there are in the UK, it’s incredible that the GU Badminton Club is shortlisted for the BUCS Club of the Year out of all of these sports clubs. It’s a real testament to how much effort people have put into making the club as big and inclusive as ever,” he said.

Glasgow University Badminton Club won Club of the Year at GUSA Ball back in February. The club has grown exponentially over the past three years with a 200% member increase in the 2021/22 season from previous seasons. They have maintained a high club membership of 195 members enrolled during 2022/23. GU Badminton also raised over £5,500 for Movember 2022, formed an Outreach Program with the aim of exposing children from underprivileged areas to the sport, and held two charity tournaments for the Ukraine Humanitarian Appeal and Shelter Scotland raising £222 and £230 respectfully.

The other four nominations for BUCS Club of the Year are Tennis from King’s College London, Cross Country from the University of Leeds, Women’s Rugby from Royal Holloway, and Trampolining from the University of Sheffield.

The Awards night takes place on Thursday 13 July 2023 at the University of Leeds. GU Badminton is looking to take home the title of BUCS Club of the Year up the M6 back to Glasgow.

The Glasgow Guardian wishes them the best of luck.