Glasgow University 2s pegged back at the death

Glasgow University 2s conceded an injury-time equaliser in a thrilling 3-3 draw with Robert Gordon at Garscube.

The visitors took the lead after only three minutes via Josh O’Driscoll’s free kick. Adam Ferguson made it 1-1 in the 13th minute, before Gary Nugent netted from close range 25 minutes later. On the stroke of half time, Stuart Doherty put Glasgow two goals ahead when he scored at the back post. Robert Gordon reduced the deficit six minutes after the break when Matthew Fraser finished well. With seconds remaining, Calum Baptie equalised inside the box.

The disappointment on the Glasgow players’ faces at the end of the match underlined the level of improvement from last week’s showing, when they fell to a 3-0 defeat to the same opposition.

But a repeat performance appeared to be on the cards as O’Driscoll curled a left-footed set piece into the bottom corner from twenty yards.

Glasgow nearly levelled in the 7th minute when Fraser Law saw his stinging drive palmed away from goal. Six minutes later, Ferguson timed his run well before placing the ball into the bottom corner.

Good work from Josh McCabe on the right set up Ferguson, whose curling effort flew just wide. Neither side was able to take control of possession and home goalkeeper Greig McClay rushed off his line to deny Matthew Fraser.

McClay then produced a wonderful point-blank save from Baptie’s glancing header. In the 38th minute, Steven Learmont’s low shot was directed into the net by left back Gary Nugent, who had advanced for a set piece, from two yards out.

The hosts became more comfortable as the half progressed, with Law’s surging runs from right back a constant thorn in the side of the opposition.

Glasgow scored their third in the dying seconds of the half. Murray Thomson collected the ball twenty yards from goal and played a cool pass, through the legs of the defender, to Gordy Allan on the right. His perfectly-placed delivery was met by a clinical touch from Doherty at the back post.

Instead of pressing for another goal, Glasgow were content to try to defend their lead in the early stages of the second half. But, in the 51st minute, Matthew Fraser pulled a goal back for his team by netting from twelve yards, through a mass of bodies.

Robert Gordon were noticeably boosted by the goal and began to press for the equaliser – Glasgow defender Lesley Goetterman was alert to clear Darren Williamson’s looping header away from danger.

The visitors could have been reduced to ten men with fifteen minutes to go when Loris, who was given a yellow, took out Patrick Renner as he advanced on goal.

Glasgow looked set to have weathered the storm but, seconds from full time, Robert Gordon equalised. Poor defending allowed Baptie to evade several challenges inside the box before sliding the ball past the helpless McClay, sparking wild celebrations.

Home captain Thomson reflected on the game: “I thought we were a lot better than last week. There was more structure to our game, we were more organised. Even considering we lost the first goal, we recovered well but it’s just a bit gutting to lose the last minute equaliser. But there are plenty of positives to take.”