Club Profile: Men’s Rugby

Mark Jackson

1st XV vs StirlingFounded in 1869, the Glasgow University Rugby Football Club is one of the University’s oldest student groups. Although we have had some troubled times in our history, the club has seen a huge amount of development in recent years, both on and off the field.

Following the appointment of our new coach Peter Jericevich last year, our level of coaching significantly improved – leading to the promotion of both our 1st XV and 2nd XV in their respective leagues. We have become more professional in our set up with the introduction of strength and conditioning programs to sit alongside our two weekly training sessions. The club also caters for those who don’t want to take rugby too seriously, and we welcome anyone to come and play for us, regardless of your past rugby experience. Along with our 1st and 2nd teams, we have a development XV, a fresher’s team and also interfaculty teams, so there really is a level of rugby for everyone.

Off the field our numbers continue to rise, with last year seeing the first annual Rugby Ball. This was a fantastic night in the GUU, and we are planning to make it a regular date on the social calendar. The Rugby Ball is just one social event we offer. Along with other major social events such as an annual tour and a ‘fox’ hunt, we are always keen for a few beers after a win on Wednesday afternoons.

Looking ahead to next year, we are hosting our first pre-season camp, which will hopefully put us in a position to gain yet more success. We have also brought in an assistant coach and are in the process of creating a new website.

If you’d like to get involved in a successful and sociable sports club at the university, look no further. We will be delighted to see you!