To Viper, the beer bar and back

Rebecca Corbett

The StandLaziness overcomes all of us, and as you start to fall into a daily routine, you also notice that your evenings are following that same, dull pattern inherited from first year. My personal one hovers between Ashton Lane, Hillhead Bookclub and Viper, all of which fall worryingly within about a kilometre of my flat. Not quite the adventure I planned university to be.

Without a little exposure to the world outside of your bars of choice, you might never notice how much Glasgow has to offer. Frequenting the same place can be relaxing, but a total crime if you live in a cultural capital of the UK. So with one eye on our wallets – which are in need of some serious TLC – let’s take a look at what other places have to offer…

Literally a pint with a side of culture, Oran Mor’s popular ‘A Play, A Pie and A Pint’ feeds, hydrates and entertains you for under £10. Here you can break out of the bubble without leaving the neighbourhood. Located on the corner of Byres Road and Great Western Road, this converted church dominates the West End landscape. The lively bar is often frequented by live musicians, meaning you can enjoy a break from Blurred Lines, Roar or Miley Cyrus, and instead enjoy your pint with a live backing track.

The Citizens Theatre is a beautiful traditional theatre in the Gorbals, and offers tickets for 50p for one hundred lucky people for each of its main performances. This isn’t a deal riddled with terms and conditions; the “no catches, just an old-fashioned queue” mantra says it all. Simple and effective, the queues are known to go round the block. Get there early for a chance to grab a bargain.

The Stand, just behind The Old Schoolhouse, offers live comedy for £2 every Tuesday – perfect if you’re trying to avoid the dreaded overdraft. Comedians of all shapes, sizes and standards come and stand up at Red Raw. Whether they are trying out new material, or attempting their first crack at comedy, you are guaranteed a laugh. Doors open at 7:30pm; get there on time to avoid the disappointment of not getting in on the limited seating. This hidden gem is becoming more well-known and popular – and students have on occasion been known to see Frankie Boyle or Kevin Bridges. Bargain.

The Scottish Opera and Scottish Ballet charge £10 per ticket to students for all of their unsold tickets. Turn up an hour before the performance and you can find yourself with the best seats in the house for only £10. Suddenly, going to see the ballet at Christmas isn’t such a financial challenge. Just remember to bring along your student card.