Manvir still missing

Euan McTear

Glasgow University third year medical student Manvir Singh has been missing since Wednesday 19 March and his whereabouts are still unknown. His family are appealing for any information about his disappearance.

Manvir was last seen by friends outside the KFC on Renfield Street at 4.45pm on the Wednesday he went missing. He left his home in Bishopbriggs that same day without his bank card, glasses and mobile phone. There had also been a reported sighting of the student in St Andrews later that day and at Manchester bus station on Friday 20 March, the Manchester sighting subsequently proving false.

The 21-year-old is reported to have failed exams without telling his family or friends and this is said to have been out of character for the “warm person.” His dance coach Charanjit Sandhu said: “He always spoke about his ­studies but nobody knew … Things were ­starting to get more difficult and he has been spending a lot of time studying and on placement in a hospital in Ayr.”

Family and friends had urged Manvir not to worry about his results and to come back home, as did the University. Glasgow University tweeted from its official account to say: “Manvir – if you need to discuss anything University related, we are here to help. Students’ well-being is paramount.”

With no further clues to his whereabouts, Manvir’s parents made a fresh appeal on April 4. His father, Harpal, said: “Manvir is a much-loved son and is known as Sonu to family and friends.”

He continued: “We haven’t heard from him or seen him for more than two weeks and we are very worried about him. “We know that Sonu got on a bus in Glasgow and travelled to St Andrews, but we don’t know what happened to him after he got off the bus in St Andrews.

“We are keeping in touch with his friends in the hope that they may hear something from him – all we want to know is that he is all right.”

His father added: “If anyone has seen Sonu or knows where he may be, please do get in touch with the police so that we know he is safe and well.”

His mother, Kirandeep, echoed the calls for her son to return home: “Sonu, if you are watching this, we want you to know that you are not in any trouble and that everyone is worried about you.”

Anyone who has seen Manvir Singh since his disappearance or who has any information on his whereabouts should contact the police at Bishopbriggs on the non-emergency number 101.