University rises 23 places in Times Higher Education World Rankings

Fraser McGowan
SRC Correspondent

The University of Glasgow has been rated one of the top 100 universities in the world by the Times Higher Education World University Rankings. The University is ranked 94th in the world in the 2014-15 table, climbing 23 places in a single year.

The QS World University Rankings also rated the University of Glasgow as one of the top 100 universities internationally, but according to their study the University fell from 51st to 55th place in the same time period.

This is the first time in recent years that the University has been in the top 100 in both the Times Higher Education World University Rankings and the QS World University Rankings. There was a low point in 2012-13, when the University of Glasgow was ranked 139th in the world by the Times.

In the Times rankings, the University also achieved a top 100 rating in several subject categories;  Life Sciences, Clinical, Pre-clinical and Health subjects, and Humanities were ranked 47th, 57th and 61st respectively. However, the University was not ranked in the top 100 internationally in the Engineering and Technology, Physical Sciences and Social Sciences categories .

The Times Higher Education World University Rankings assesses universities using a methodology which encompasses “thirteen carefully calibrated performance indicators.” These indicators are grouped into five key areas: teaching, research, citations, industry income and international outlook. Teaching, research and citations make up 90% of the overall ranking score.

Other Scottish universities to have done well this year are the University of Edinburgh, the University of St. Andrews and the University of Aberdeen, achieving rankings of 36th, 111th and 178th respectively.

Professor Anton Muscatelli, Principal and Vice-Chancellor of the University of Glasgow, expressed his pleasure at these recent results and said: “Whilst all league tables should be treated with a degree of caution, I am pleased to see such a dramatic rise in the Times World University Rankings.

“Earlier this year the QS world rankings also confirmed our high standing placing us at 55th in the world.  These global rankings, when taken together with our strong showing in this year’s National Student Survey, where we scored a 91% satisfaction rate, confirm our reputation as a world-leading university, where the student experience is second to none.”

However, Professor Muscatelli also commented on the importance of perseverance, stating: “We cannot afford to rest upon these successes and we are committed to ensuring that we build upon them to continue to provide the very best learning and teaching experience for our students.”