The Furniture Pop Up: Bringing Local Back

Funiture Pop Up 1 - October 2015

Kirsty Conway
Culture Editor

With an increasing interest in the UK with buying British, and supporting local, generally smaller brands and produce, Scotland is no exception. A leading influence in supporting Scottish makers – particularly in the industries of furniture, art and textiles – are Blue Tin Events, whose stated focus is on “bringing local back”.

After the success of their biggest shop yet at The Briggait in the Summer of 2015, Blue Tin Events will be returning to Glasgow’s West End with their next pop up shop this weekend, on the 10th and 11th October, at the Willowbank Bowling Club.

At The Briggait in July, my first thought was that I had never seen anything like this before. The event showcased an impressive range of talented Scottish makers, whose wares were displayed in custom Blue Tin ‘pods’ to look like rooms, the idea behind this being to dress the shop as you would your own home. The pop up shops can best be described as somewhere in between an extremely high-quality craft fair, and a showroom with a relaxed, welcoming atmosphere, where pretty much everything is original and unique, and where you (okay, I) will struggle to restrain yourself from buying all of the pretty things.

Blue Tin Events was founded by furniture restorer Sarah Johnstone, after a disappointing end-of-year showcase for herself and her fellow graduates from The City of Glasgow College, at which Sarah felt that her, and her talented classmates’ work didn’t receive the industry attention it deserved. From this came the ‘Furniture Pop-Up’, and Sarah’s original idea has since expanded to include fashion, art and textiles, under the umbrella of Blue Tin Events. The pop-up shops combine a commitment to providing a platform for Scotland’s best makers to showcase and sell their work, with a free day out for the public, where you get a shopping experience of the best quality handmade and local items that Scotland has to offer.

Whatever your plans for the weekend, I bet they’re not as cool and artsy as going to peruse Scotland’s up and coming artisans, and finding something unique for your home, (or even being super organised and starting your Christmas shopping!) Whatever your tastes, you are bound to find something in the eclectic range of handmade, in most cases one-of-a-kind furniture, textiles and home accessories that you will fall in love with.

The Furniture Pop-Up is FREE to attend, and will take place on 10th-11th October at the Willowbank Bowling Club, 36 Dowanside Road, Glasgow, G12 9DW. See www.furniturepopup.com for more details.