Fringe Review: Mercury Fur

13428442_1093346897390108_4974868001411997093_n

Agnes Checka
Culture Editor

A group of young people goes to extreme lengths to make it in a post-apocalyptic blood-soaked London where gangs roam the streets and people’s memories are being distorted by hallucinogenic butterflies. Elliott (Raymond Wilson) and Darren (Callum Partridge), two brothers, are in the midst of preparing a gruesome party for a wealthy man who might just have something they need to survive.

Fear No Colours is a fairly new Glasgow-based theatre company specialising in visceral contemporary drama. Their production of Philip Ridley’s play is a successful attempt at portraying the brutal and gruesome in the most beautiful ways. The young and talented cast carried the piece to new heights, performing with raw power and passion; every interaction keeps you on your toes and the monologues radiate pain and despair, haunting the audience hours after the performance.

The great dynamic between the aggressive yet loving Elliott and hopeful Darren stands in stark contrast with the eerie aura of the group’s leader Papa Spinx (Sam Skoog) and the eccentric Duchess (Siofra Dromgoole), their costumes and mannerisms complimenting the disturbing dystopian aesthetic.

Whilst the blocking on the traverse stage in the venue could’ve been thought out more carefully, this production still stands strong. If you’re looking for a bold piece of theatre that fearlessly explores the struggle between love and fear in extreme circumstances, see Mercury Fur.

(TW: blood, physical and verbal abuse, murder, mention of rape)

See Mercury Fur at the Edinburgh Fringe, 4 — 29th of August, venue C cubed