Scottish Open: Home giants set to face off in the first round

Credit: Vanderwel.org

Credit: Vanderwel.org

Jack Haugh
Sports Editor

The draw for the Scottish Open has delivered a mouthwatering clash as John Higgins and Alan McManus go head-to-head at the Emirates Arena in an all Glasgow affair. Two of Scotland’s most successful players, Higgins will be looking to get revenge for his tight defeat to McManus at this year’s World Championship.

The Coral Scottish Open looks set to be a grand occasion with some of the sport’s biggest names convening on the City’s East End, such as the enigmatic Ronnie O’Sullivan and Judd Trump. With £70,000 worth of prize money up for grabs, and over 100 of the world’s finest players set to take to the table, there is sure to be plenty of entertainment on offer between the 12th and 18th of December.

Whilst O’Sullivan may arguably be the sport’s only truly household name, the battle of Higgins and McManus is sure to get pulses racing. Having struggled in recent years, the 2017/17 season has seen a return to form for Celtic fan Higgins, who will take to the table yards away from Parkhead. With the China Championship and Champion of Champions titles already secured this year, he will be hoping to maintain his good record against McManus.

Meanwhile, Trump, who won the UK Championship in 2011, will open his charge to the title against China’s Zhang Yong, and O’Sullivan, who has five World Championships to his name, faces Matthew Selt. O’Sullivan recently lost to Mark Selby in the UK Championship final in York, but has won the Scottish Open on two occasions; 1998 and 2000.

Scotland will further be represented by Stephen Maguire who faces Zhou Yuelong on Tuesday the 13th, Anthony McGill, who recently shot to fame by winning the Indian Open this year, and former World Champion Graeme Dott, who hasn’t played at the Scottish Open since 2004.