Rainbow flag raised for LGBT+ History Month

Katy Scott
News Editor

LGBT+ History Month began at midday with the raising of the rainbow flag at the South Front of the University of Glasgow. The next few weeks will follow suit with a variety of events to celebrate LGBT+ history and culture.

The flag raising will be followed later on by the launch party hosted by Glasgow University’s Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Trans, Queer Plus (GULGBTQ+) students’ association in the Base Bar of the Glasgow University Union (GUU). The night will feature speeches, a drinks reception and karaoke.

Events planned for the month include quizzes, music performances, workshops, film screenings and discussions.

February is set to include a mixture of informative discussions and celebrations of LGBT+ identities. Topics such as intersex rights, HIV awareness and LGBTQ+ mental health. The day after Valentine’s day will celebrate asexuals and aromatics with “Palentine’s Day”.

Annual celebration Queerfest is set to take place at the Queen Margaret Union on 11 February. The day will feature talks, workshops, arts and crafts, music performances and poetry readings.

The commercialisation of Pride celebrations will also be discussed in a formal debate at the GUU on 18 February.

A spokesperson for GULGBTQ+ said: “The month of February is always of great importance to the LGBT+ community. It gives us the opportunity to remember our history and realise how far we have come in terms of achieving equality, despite how much work there still remains to be done.

“This month-long cross-campus celebration of LGBT+ history and culture at the University of Glasgow officially commenced with the raising of the rainbow flag on 1st February.”

Funds raised throughout the month will be donated to the Scottish Transgender Alliance and LGBT Health and Wellbeing.