Credit: PannerWagen

Rector nominations to be reopened “in the next few days” after University Court Meeting

Credit: PannerWagen

Kate Snowdon
Editor

The University Court has approved the immediate reopening of nominations for Rector, following yesterday’s meeting, the Glasgow Guardian can report.

The nomination process is set to recommence over the next few days, and is expected to last for approximately two weeks, with the Rectorial election taking place during the week beginning 20 March 2017.

Students’ Representative Council (SRC) President Ameer Ibrahim said that nominations would be opened: “[in the] next few days, maybe tomorrow or Monday, but as soon as possible.” Specific dates for the nomination period will be revealed shortly.

Ibrahim said that Court had respected the decision of the SRC to immediately re-open nominations, as reported by the Glasgow Guardian, after their emergency meeting on 14 February. At this meeting, a motion to delay the rectorial election until semester one of the next academic year was defeated by 19 votes to nine. This follows the announcement that at the end of the initial nominations period, the University had received no nominations, meaning that an election could not take place to replace Edward Snowden as rector.

Ibrahim added that the clear vote from Council represented the broad view of the student body that nominations should be immediately reopened.

When asked if he was aware of any current nominations, Ibrahim claimed that: “Whilst it is up to individual students and societies on campus [to nominate a Rector], I have been informed of three nominations. I hope that they come to fruition.” Ibrahim added that he was aware of a number of enquiries regarding the nomination process, and that there had been discussions with prospective candidates.

Ibrahim said: “We hope to see a contested election and a good pool of candidates.”