Credit: Hugo Cadavez

Glasgow comes second among Scottish unis in latest QS rankings

Credit: Hugo Cadavez

Megan Brass

The University of Glasgow has held onto its 2nd place position among Scottish universities in the latest QS world rankings, coming in 63rd globally and 18th in Europe.

Glasgow University ranked lower than the University of Edinburgh, which came in 19th but surpassed the University of St Andrews and University of Aberdeen, ranked 77th and 141st in the world respectively.

QS has awarded the University of Glasgow 5 stars on 8 of their assessment criteria, giving the university an overall rating of 5+.

Professor Anton Muscatelli, Principal and Vice-Chancellor of the University of Glasgow, said: “We’re delighted to have received 5 Star ratings in each of the eight categories under consideration, and even more thrilled to have received the 5 Stars Plus Rating overall, the highest rank possible.

“We take great pride in the University’s world-class teaching and research, and it’s fantastic to see our success recognised in this way. It is also immensely gratifying that some of our other key priorities, including our commitment to internationalise our campus and provide the highest-quality facilities for students, researchers and visitors alike, have also been awarded 5 star ratings.”

Rachel Sandison, director of the University’s Marketing, Recruitment and International Office, said: “These awards are an exciting reflection of our excellent performance on the world stage, and will act as an invaluable independent endorsement for prospective undergraduate and postgraduate students around the world.

“We’re pleased and proud to have done so well, and we’re committed to making the University of Glasgow an even better place to study, work and thrive in the future.”

The QS ranking system has been assessing universities worldwide since 2004, and bases its analysis on 11 separate criteria. It aims to take into account “a number of factors that are often overlooked in university rankings and other assessments”. These include research, teaching, employability, facilities, and other relevant considerations for higher education institutions.

Glasgow’s position in the QS table has dropped slightly in recent years, from 9th in the UK and 55th worldwide in 2014, to 12th nationally and 62nd globally in 2015. However, the 2016 rankings see the University maintaining this position for another year, dropping 1 place into 63rd worldwide, but jumping ahead of Durham University to claim 11th in the UK.