Next year’s SRC President to run for election unopposed as nominations close

Jess Owen and Kate Snowdon
News Editor & Editor

As of 4pm today, nominations have closed for the upcoming Students’ Representative Council (SRC) elections.

There are 62 candidates for 33 different positions, with the 8 remaining positions receiving no nominations at all. This is the lowest number of positions to receive no nominations in the last three years.

46% of the positions that received nominations, will be uncontested, which is the lowest percentage in the last three years. This includes that of SRC president, with only the current vice president (education) Kate Powell in the running. Vice president (students activities) also received one nomination, from current charities, clubs and societies officer, Pritasha Kariappa. Despite two uncontested elections for sabbatical positions on the SRC, 2017 marks the highest number of contested positions in three years, at 34%.

There were no unopposed candidates for sabbatical officers last year, and one unopposed candidate the year before.

The nominations for 2017 vice president (education) include Ali Bhatti, current School of Humanities representative Hannah-May Todd; and current UG College of Arts convenor Jenny Benson.

For the position of vice president (student support), Tia Manavis, gender equality officer Thais Ramdani and disability equality officer Lauren McDougall were nominated.

For the full list of those nominated, please see the SRC website.

Current SRC President Ameer Ibrahim has been approached for comment.