Credit: TheGlasgowCup

Glasgow Taxis Cup Launched as Glasgow look to continue their dominance

Credit: TheGlasgowCup

Megan Brass

Glasgow Taxis Cup 2017 was launched on 6 December at Busby Equitation Centre, as student athletes from Glasgow University, Strathclyde and Glasgow Caledonian begin to prepare themselves for another day of hot competition in Scotland’s biggest student intervarsity event.

Wednesday 15th March will see 700 keen athletes from all three universities compete across 16 sports in venues all over the city. From football and hockey to snowsports and equestrian there is something for everyone, and athletes across Glasgow will be eager for another chance to beat their local rivals.

Each university will be backed by a former student as their Honorary Captain, with Scotland caps John Beattie (Glasgow University), Pat Nevin (Glasgow Caledonian) and Lynne Beattie (Strathclyde University) the three stars who will take the positions for the second year running.

The event has been supported by Glasgow Taxis since 2011, and since then Glasgow University has topped the table each year. GUSA president Ruari Thompson told The Glasgow Guardian that he is confident about defending the title: “I definitely see Glasgow as favourites to triumph again. Having seen some of the excellent results our teams have had over the BUCS season so far and knowing some of the exceptional athletes who will be competing for us, I think it is hard to look past a seventh win in a row for Team Glasgow.”

Lauren Ramage and Calvin Hepburn, the sports presidents of Caledonian and Strathclyde respectively, will host the event along with Thompson. All three presidents hope their own university can lay claim to being Glasgow’s best sporting institute.

The winning university is decided by awarding points to the winners of each individual sport event. In the 12 year history of the competition, Glasgow University has claimed the title eight times, and Strathclyde four times. Despite Glasgow’s six year stint in the top spot, both Strathclyde and Glasgow Caledonian hope to snag the trophy and end GU’s winning streak in 2017. Having finished very close behind Glasgow in recent years, Hepburn is particularly keen that Strathclyde should regain the title for themselves. The strong competition will add to what hopes to be the most exciting Glasgow Taxis Cup yet.

As well as the strong abilities of Glasgow Uni athletes, Thompson advocates the success Glasgow has seen in recent years to a huge level of support driving the athletes forward and giving them that extra incentive. He said: “every year the event creates a real buzz around campus and it is great to see engagement from everyone, whether they are active club sport members or just part of the wider student population.”