Taxis Cup 2017 Preview: Men’s Football Club

Max Kelly

As the 2017 Taxis Cup draws ever closer, the Glasgow University Men’s Football Team are finalising their preparations for the event. The side narrowly missed out last year finishing second to Glasgow Caledonian and will look to do one better in this year’s tournament.

GUFC captain Tom Middlemass has backed striker Donald Thomson to be key to success for the side, stating “he has proved he’s a very good goal scorer and I think we will need him to be on form to take the title.” Middlemass also stressed the importance of a strong defence, claiming, “ I think our defensive line will also need to be strong to withstand any decent play from the opposition. Through the season our backline has been solid, and it will have to be on Wednesday to give us a chance of winning.”

The GUFC 1s have already clinched promotion to the BUCS League 1A this season, in a campaign which included an 8-3 victory over the University of Dundee, and Middlemass has described the mood in the squad as “very positive.” Middlemass has also underlined the importance of respecting their opponents stating that, “I don’t think we can underestimate our opponents. I’m sure they will put out their strongest squads and we will have to turn up with our A-game to try and get the result we want.”

Middlemass seemed in a confident mood going into the tournament saying, “overall I think the boys are fairly confident going into it. We have nothing to lose so we’re just gonna go out and play our style of football which should give us the result we want if everything goes to plan.”

The side begin the competition against Glasgow Caledonian University before playing Strathclyde University in the final match of the competition at the Stepps Playing Field.