Credit: Wikimedia Commons

Police call for witness after rape near Charing Cross

Credit: Wikimedia Commons

Katy Scott

Police are calling for a key witness to come forward after a woman was raped near Charing Cross early on Friday morning. The 36-year-old woman was assaulted in a lane off Renfrew Street between 4am and 4:30am.

The key witness police are seeking reportedly went to the victim’s aid and offered her water before the police arrived at the scene. Authorities believe he may hold key information concerning the attack.

Officers are currently collecting CCTV footage in hopes of obtaining a description of the assailant. Forensic experts have also been examining the scene of the crime for evidence to identify the attacker.

Det Insp Graeme McLachlan said: “We are trying to establish the exact circumstances of what happened and piece together the information we currently have.

“I am appealing to anyone who was in the area who may have heard anything or who may have seen something.

“I am particularly keen to identify a man described as being in his 30s, with short brown hair, who went to the assistance of the woman providing her with water before police arrival. If this is you, or you know who it is, please make contact with police as soon as possible.

“I know the incident occurred in the early hours of this morning but there may have been passing motorists or people out and about in the area who may have seen something which seemed a little odd or suspicious to them.

“I would appeal to these people to please contact us and pass on any small piece of information. You may think it’s not important but it could turn out to be that vital piece of information which leads us to the suspect.”

If you or anyone you know if a victim of sexual violence, you have a number of options for reporting. You can report it to the police, to Rape Crisis Glasgow, who also offer a variety of support services, and to the SRC advice centre. Please see the SRC’s website sexual violence and support and resource webpage.