GU Athletics win in dramatic fashion

Credit: Dora Pongracz

Dora Pongracz

The Glasgow University Athletics Club continued their longheld dominance at the Taxis Cup as they fought back from the brink to secure the Athletics title. With Strathclyde looking on course to win, Glasgow turned things around and overcame a dropped baton in the women’s 4x100m relay to win the event by a single point.

The female and male athletes were competing in 100m sprints, 800m middle distance and also two relay events, 4x100m and 4x 400m. Opening the day with a second place finish in the men’s 100m race, Aimee McGinley then gave Glasgow their first win of the day as she stormed to victory in the women’s race. However, soon things were beginning to look in the favour of their rivals Strathclyde, as they swept to victory in the men’s 800m race, with Glasgow finishing a distant third behind Caley. Things went from bad to worse in the 800m women’s race, with Glasgow failing to medal at all as they finished a lowly 5th and 6th place.

The drama of the day came in the women’s 4x100m race where Glasgow threw away a winning position with a dropped baton at the second changeover. “It is a shame, but it happens. I am still proud of the girls,” said Edi Akpan, the women’s captain, but their third place finish put Glasgow’s hopes of winning the Athletics title in serious doubt. Their blushes were spared somewhat when the men won the 4x100m in convincing fashion, beating the other two universities with more than 20m. Krishawn Aiken was the star of the day, bringing home the baton in both 4x100m and 4x400m relay team, winning the maximum point for Glasgow in the men’s relay. The Women restored some pride in the 4x400m race as they finished second in that race behind Caley.

In the end, the result was too close to call when all the action was done. The three universities had put on a brilliant show, bringing their strongest athletes and teams to every event and the points were very close. Ultimately it was Glasgow who scrapped the victory as they defeated their opponents by a single point. With 17 to Caley’s 16 and Strathclyde’s 15, it was a nail biting finish worthy of a nail biting day.


Share this story

Follow us online