Credit: Unsplash

Record numbers of heat deaths recorded

By Sydney Martin

Governments around the world deal with record temperatures and heat deaths in the hottest year on record.

Last year was the hottest year on record, with multiple cities shattering temperature records, even during the winter months. With countries around the world, particularly in the Global South, suddenly dealing with extreme heat, there has been a corresponding spike in heat-related deaths. 

A study by the American Medical Association found that last year’s heat was the most deadly on record, 2,325 people being the exact reported figure. Additional CDC data reveals that an additional 120,000 people were admitted to emergency rooms across the country for similar reasons. This can include heatstroke, heat exhaustion, as well as various smaller issues such as fainting or muscle cramps. Especially vulnerable groups include the elderly and young children, who are less able to regulate their own body temperatures. 

This problem isn’t just isolated to America either, as places across the world, including the UK, experience hotter and hotter summers each year. 

According to data from 2023’s heat mortality monitoring report, the UK Health Security Agency found that there were 2,295 excessive heat deaths, a number almost equal to those observed in the American study. While Scotland wasn’t as hot as the rest of the UK, its ten warmest years on record have all occurred after 1997. This has led to an overall drier summer and an increased risk of heat-related issues, particularly among elderly residents. 

In the UK, the heatwaves present a unique challenge, as many homes are designed to keep heat in during cold winters and lack central air conditioning. Data from a University of Glasgow study found that, of the 40 homes in the study, 85% experienced temperatures over 27C. Additionally, two thirds of participants said that the heat was affecting their physical or mental health. 

With these dangers showing no sign of slowing without human intervention, governments across the world are making attempts to mitigate some of the worst effects. Globally, countries have held climate conferences annually, during which it was agreed to commit to lowering the global temperature increase to 1.5 degrees.

Within Scotland, the government has set a goal to reduce all greenhouse gas emissions to a net-zero by 2045. Many councils have set more local plans into motion as well. Within Glasgow, the city introduced the Low Emission Zone, which requires all vehicles entering the city centre to meet certain emission criteria or face fines. Several other councils have drafted plans that include energy saving schemes and an emphasis on electric vehicles. 

While these plans are important steps, many will take time to see any major changes in the climate. This has spurred many cities around the globe to enact plans in an attempt to lessen the amount of injuries and deaths. As part of this effort, the International Red Cross has introduced a guide for cities dealing with heat waves. It contains guides for establishing warning systems and cooling centres, as well as steps to “green” urban centres through shade trees and low emission zones. 

With 2024 projected to be another record-breaking year, it is increasingly important that the UK and the world take large steps to reduce rising temperatures. Without any change, numbers are expected to continue rising as people find themselves stuck in heatwaves, increasing the need for governments to take action to avert a massive global crisis.