Credit: @glasgowunisrc via Instagram

UofG graduate and ex-SRC Vice-President jailed for pro-Palestine protest

By Kate Bailey Tonkin

Eva Simmons was jailed for 12 months for her role in causing more than £1m of damage

A graduate of the University of Glasgow and former sabbatical officer in the Student Representative Council has been jailed for taking part in over £1m of property damage at a Thales factory. Along with four protestors associated with Palestine Action Scotland, Simmons, 25, scaled the roof of the Thales UK building in Govan in June 2022, where the group unfurled banners, raised flags, and set off flares. Two members entered the building itself and caused over £1 million in damage, including to critical submarine components.

An internal fire alarm triggered an evacuation of the premises, during which the protesters set off pyrotechnics, including smoke bombs, with some thrown into areas being evacuated. The site was subsequently closed due to safety concerns arising from the protest, disrupting business operations.

The Glasgow Guardian understands that Eva Simmons was a student at the University of Glasgow from 2017 to 2021, when she graduated with First Class Honours in Sociology & Politics. While at the University, she was elected Vice President of Student Support on the Student Representative Council from 2021 to 2022. 

The protesters, identified as Stuart Bretherton, 25, Eva Simmons, 25, Calum Lacy, 23, and Erica Hygate, 23, were jailed for 12 months, while Sumaya Javaid, 22, was handed a 14-month sentence. All five pleaded guilty to conducting themselves in a disorderly manner. Hygate and Javaid further pleaded guilty to charges of malicious mischief, whilst Javaid additionally admitted to behaving in a threatening or abusive manner. 

After the sheriff delivered his verdict, some of the protesters and individuals in the public gallery were visibly emotional; this was followed by shouts of “You are preventing genocide” and chants of “Free Palestine” from members of the public as the group were escorted into custody.

A background report on the protesters described the actions of the group as “non-violent in nature” and suggested that at least one protester had acted “impulsively”. However, Sheriff John McCormick, presiding over the case, refuted this claim, stating that “throwing pyrotechnics at areas where people are being evacuated cannot be described as non-violent.” 

He recognised the protesters’ youth, intelligence, and potential contributions to society, stating that it was “a particularly difficult case to sentence”. He also acknowledged the protesters’ varying levels of remorse and their offers to plead guilty at an early stage, noting that four of them had no prior convictions. However, he said that “the gravity and consequences of the charges” necessitated a custodial sentence. The court, he argued, could not overlook the danger to individuals, the financial costs incurred, and the overall disruption caused; the sentencing had to convey that “such unlawful and reckless actions” would result in custodial sentences where appropriate.

Luke Akehurst MP voiced his support for the custodial sentences handed to the protesters saying, “I welcome the court imposing an appropriate custodial sentence, which will hopefully deter such vandalism by extremists in the future. Everyone has the right to peaceful protest but not to violence, causing over £1 million in damage to a company doing vital national security work, and endangering its employees.” 

The Revolutionary Communist Group (RCG), however, argued that the sentencing was politically motivated to “scare others from taking such action”, criticising its “punitive harshness” despite the trial’s background reports on the protestors recommending alternatives to prison. The RCG further reported on comments made by the partner of one of the protesters at a solidarity march, who said that the protest “harmed absolutely no-one” and targeted a company involved in “genocide”.

Thales, a French company that produces a range of military equipment, including drone components, has frequently been targeted by activist groups because of its partnerships with Israeli companies. However, the company denies supplying the Israeli military, stating that none of the equipment used by Israel is manufactured at its Glasgow site.

The Glasgow Guardian contacted Palestine Action Scotland for comment.