Glasgow student nominated for helpline volunteer award

Kirstien Hodgson

A Glasgow student has made it to the final stages of a competition that rewards the efforts of helpline workers.

Morven Boyd was nominated by Chris Buckland, the Student Volunteer Support Service Coordinator, for the BT/THA Helpline Worker of the Year Awards 2008. Morven has been put forward for her work with the student service, Nightline. Chris told Guardian how vital Morven’s participation had been over the past year.

He said: “Without Morven, this year wouldn’t have been the success it was for Nightline. Not only was she instrumental in arranging weekly shift and committee meetings, she also led from the front by doing 29 shifts from September to February. “It would not be unreasonable to estimate that her combined efforts over the year would reach well over 400 hours, a truly outstanding effort.”

Nightline is a confidential information and listening service run by the Student Representative Council for students who need help or just a friendly person to talk to.

Morven, a fifth year French and Hispanic Studies joint honours student, first became involved with the service in her second year. She explained that the reason she continues to work for Nightline is chiefly that it is good to know that she is working to help people.

She said: “I’ve been working with Nightline for three years now and it’s really exciting to realise that people are noticing and appreciating the work that you do.” “Everyone says this, I suppose, but you really feel like you’re doing a good thing and that you’re helping people who need it. When you get a good call and people tell you how useful the service is it makes you want to keep going.”

Morven has been praised not only for her extraordinary effort but also for highlighting the importance of the voluntary service. Jamie Wightwick, VP Learning and Development for the Student Representative Council, explained the importance of Nightline and the recognition offered by the award.

He said: “Nightline is a vital form of support for Glasgow students, and we are extremely pleased that Morven, and the service, is being recognised on a national level.”