Glasgow’s research is “world-leading”

Craig MacLellan

Academic research at the University of Glasgow has received excellent results in the 2008 Research Assessment Exercise (RAE).

The RAE, which is undertaken every seven years, examines the quality of research carried out by universities across the UK and is an internationally recognised standard.

Almost 70% of the research submitted by the University has been classified as either world-leading or internationally excellent.

These results build significantly on the University of Glasgow’s performance in the 2001 assessment.

Principal of Glasgow University, Sir Muir Russell, welcomed the results and believes that they reinforce Glasgow’s position as an internationally recognised institution.

He said: “The 2008 RAE results reflect the strength of research at this university.

“The University of Glasgow is one of the top 100 universities in the world and has an international research profile.

“These results match our international standing and underline our reputation across the world.”

Sir Muir also noted how well Scottish universities had performed overall in terms of research quality.

He said: “These results from around the country show the strength of research activity in Scotland as a whole and proves, yet again, that Scotland punches above its weight when it comes to world-class research.”

Professor Steve Beaumont, Vice-Principal for Research and Enterprise, believes the results prove that the university is meeting its aim of producing world class research.

He said: “One of the university’s key strategic objectives is for our research to be recognised as world-leading. The RAE 2008 results show that we are achieving this.”

Professor Beaumont also noted how the University had achieved high marks in a wide-range of subject areas.

He explained: “Our cancer and cardiovascular research are both rated in the top five in the UK.

“Our submissions from Accounting and Finance, English Language and Literature, and Theatre, Film and Television Studies have also made the top five in their fields.

“The University’s History of Art department is the most highly rated of any university in the UK and our Vet School has been rated joint best in the country.”