Department scoops two awards for excellence

urbanawardjimwilson

Craig McLellan

The University of Glasgow’s Department of Urban Studies won two prizes at the recent Royal Town Planning Institute annual awards.

The department, which launched a planning school in 2006, won an award for excellence in planning education.

The planning school offers an MSc programme in real estate, planning and regeneration, which comprises five courses designed to overcome professional barriers.

Judges praised the programme for creating “a business model that could help develop good practice elsewhere.”

Professor David Adams, Ian MacTaggart Chair of Property and Urban Studies, believes the award is an important recognition of the programme and may help in attracting students to Glasgow.

He said: “The award is important national recognition of what we’ve achieved since the programme was established in 2006: some really good enthusiastic students, high quality work and the majority of graduates so far achieving merits or distinctions.

“Awards will make this better known to potential students and employers.”

George Weeks, who is studying for an MSc in city planning and real estate development at Glasgow, also won an award for outstanding student achievements in planning education for his study of the space around the University’s Adam Smith Building.

Mr. Weeks said he was delighted to win the award and recommends the MSc to other graduates considering further study, but warns of the strains it places on a student.

He said: “The teaching and assessment is good, with an excellent staff and an innovative course structures that makes it possible to choose from a wide choice of modules, reflecting one’s variety of interests and abilities.

“At the same time, any student considering taking the course must recognise that the MSc is very intense.”