GUSSC enjoy winter of content

Andy Bryce

Saturday 28th February saw over 100 of Scotland’s best student skiers and snowboards descend on Cairngorm Mountain Resort, Aviemore, for the Scottish Universities Snowsports Championships. Degrading snow conditions over the last decade have meant that the competition has not been able to run, however record snowfall this year lead to a team of talented and enthusiastic skiers and snowboarders from Glasgow University Ski and Snowboard Club, and The Scottish University Snowsports Council resurrecting the prestigious event.

Perfect weather on the day along with a massive effort from the team at Cairngorm Mountain meant that the racing on The 105, freestyle in the terrain park at the top of the Ptarmigan t-bar, and inter-uni team duals on The Ciste all ran perfectly.

The ski and snowboard race events saw zero wind and hard packed snow, on a excellent course set by Donald Hall of Snowsport Scotland, whilst the freestylers were able to enjoy massive air in the park at one of the top resorts in Scotland.

Winners in the ski GS were Ross Jardine of Glasgow University and Michelle Bowman of Glasgow Caledonian University, whilst snowboard GS winners were Tom Akass of Napier University and Sam Filsell of Edinburgh University. In the park, Edinburgh University made a clean sweep of the ski slopestyle, with Gareth Kingsford coming out on top. Tom Akass found himself on top of the podium again with a first in the male board slopestyle, whilst Alex Mills of Edinburgh University triumphed in the female board category.

Glasgow’s A team won the team dual slalom, whilst Napier’s team took home 1st place in the snowboard team dual.

Those not competing on the day were able to chill out in the red bull tent aside the Ptarmigan, with a slope-side DJ and unlimited red bull, or test out the brand new British designed and produced skis from White Dot Freeride, which recently featured on national news.

Although the days skiing was hard to top, the organisers definitely tried their hardest to show everyone the ultimate Aviemore experience. Dinner was provided in the Vault bar, along with a DJ and some spectacular celebratory drinks deals. Prizegiving followed shortly, with all podium finishers receiving a bag of goodies from sponsors Boax Custom Headwear, Joystick Skiing, White Dot Freeride, Red Bull and of course local sponsor Blacks, who had very kindly offered all competitors discount in store on the day of the competition.

The event as a whole was a massive success, and a spectacular advert for the vast potential of Scottish Skiing, thanks to the efforts of all involved, and the enthusiasm of the competitors. We are hoping to see these spectacular snow conditions continue next year, so the event may run again, hopefully on a much grander scale!