Shinty club hit for six

Harry Tattersall Smith

Glasgow 2 – 6 Edinburgh

A depleted Glasgow side were overrun by an experienced Edinburgh team on an icy day out at Garscube. The East-coasters edged out their rivals in a feisty encounter with the club from the capital displaying a master class in finishing from which the young Glasgow team can only hope to learn. It was a day when chances went begging for Glasgow whilst Edinburgh exerted the efficiency that has seen them propelled to one of Scotland’s premier sides.

It was an Edinburgh side brimming with confidence that started the sharper and with the first meaningful attack of the game, caught a Glasgow defence napping. A flowing move was sharply converted past the stranded Norman Araas in goals. The faithful support could have been forgiven for fearing the worst: Edinburgh playing with such a verve and vigour that a rout looked ominously close. Yet Glasgow managed to fight their way back.

Inspired by captain Colin Tarbot’s strong leadership at the heart of defence and the talismanic Louis Munro, the home side were able to draw level. A ferocious drive from Munro could only be parried by the Edinburgh goalkeeper and Allan Macdonald, a constant nuisance to the Edinburgh defence,was able to bundle home the equaliser from the resulting rebound.

After such a fluent start Edinburgh seemed unable to cope with the intensity of Glasgows pressure game. Glasgow who had perhaps shown the visitors too much respect in the opening exchanges hassled and jostled and gradually developed a stranglehold over the game as the Edinburgh side showed signs of nerves. The composure that had so defined the visitors opening play was replaced with a real sense of anxiety as mistakes started to infiltrate their game. Sloppy Edinburgh defence saw Sinclair Cooper burst through, only to see his shot flash narrowly across the face of goal, whilst the majestic Louis Munro saw another trademark long range drive acrobatically chested away by the scrambling Edinburgh goalkeeper.

Glasgow however soon fell behind and it was very much a case of hero to villain for goalkeeper Norman Araas. He was to keep his side on level terms with some instinctive shot stopping, only for moments later to see a scuffed clearance fall at the stick of an Edinburgh attacker, who was all to happy to bundle in from close range.

Glasgow again refused to buckle and were almost instantly back on level terms.An Edinburgh counter-attack was broken up by the imperious Peter Grace and his through ball was latched onto by Louis Munro who was able to lash home past the on rushing keeper.

The start of the second half in many ways mirrored the first, with the visitors coming out for the second half full intent on stamping their authority.

It was here they were able to apply their greater experience as they clinically finished off the game with a couple of early second half goals and were soon able to run the legs off a tired Glasgow side.

At times in the second half it was very much the Norman Araas show, with the stopper being constantly called upon, as Edinburgh proceeded to bombard the Glasgow goal.Anyone expecting a loss of confidence after his earlier error were to be left pleasantly surprised as he more than atoned for his mistake with a series of smart saves. He was helpless however for Edinburgh’s third. A long–range shot skidded through a crowd of players leaving him wrong footed, whilst their fourth was down to a moment of sheer individual class. The Edinburgh midfielder was able to pick up in his own half and drive at the Glasgow defence, and with the defenders backing off he was able to pick his spot from thirty yards and unleash a fierce drive that Norman could only helplessly watch sail in.

Edinburgh’s fifth came courtesy of an incisive counter-attack after Charlie English was unlucky to see his effort crash of a combination off post and goalkeeper. Edinburgh rounded off the scoring as Glasgow pushed for consolation.There were inevitable holes at the back, and as Glasgow probed at the visitors defence, a simple long ball turned defence into attack, and the burly Edinburgh centre forward was on hand to smash home from close range past an exposed Araas.

Afterwards team captain, Colin Tarbat, spoke of the difficulties faced for Glasgow University Shinty: “Most of our best players are committed to clubs up north and thus have missed a lot of games. It’s a shame but we’ve got a lot of new faces in this year, we are in a bit of a transitionary period at the moment, but I’m really confident that by this time next year we will be competing for some silverware.”