Photo: Olivia Vitazkova

Glasgow University climbs national league table

Photo: Olivia Vitazkova

Photo: Olivia Vitazkova

Anna Murray

The latest Sunday Times University Guide published this month saw the University of Glasgow gain nine places in its rankings. The University moved from 31st in last year’s results to joint 22nd place, making the biggest gain of any of the top 30 universities listed.

The University was awarded a total of 755 points overall, sharing 22nd place with the University of Sussex.

The University was also runner-up for the Sunday Times Scottish University of the Year award.

Sir Muir Russell, outgoing University Principal, said: “We are very pleased at our standing in the latest league table from the Sunday Times. It is great recognition for the hard work put in by everyone in the University over the past year and I would like to take this opportunity to thank them for their efforts.”

Glasgow scored highly in the student satisfaction category, with the University one of only twelve institutions to gain 190 points or more in the category.

The Sunday Times University Guide also highlighted the University’s research profile. Rated at 64.7%, Glasgow’s research profile was described as “among the best in the UK” and was cited as a reason for the University’s impressive increase in the most recent rankings.

President of the SRC, Laura Laws, said: “I am delighted at Glasgow’s success in the Times University Rankings. The National Student Survey results this year showed that Glasgow students think this is one of the best places to study in the UK.”

Of the Scottish universities listed the University of Glasgow came in behind the University of St Andrews, in fifth place, and the University of Edinburgh, who came joint fifteenth.