News in brief: 19/10/09

Muscatelli becomes Glasgow Principal

Professor Anton Muscatelli has officially taken up the office of Principal of the University of Glasgow.

The former Principal of Herriot Watt University and the current convenor of Universities Scotland becomes the 50th principal in the University’s history.

Professor Muscatelli spoke of his delight upon taking up the post and his future plans for the university.

“I am excited and honoured to succeed Muir Russell as Principal. As well as continuing to work towards the ambitious targets set out in the University’s plan ‘Building on Excellence’, I look forward to working with all colleagues to develop a strategic plan beyond 2010.”

Major award recognises Glasgow oncology

A group of scientists from the Glasgow Sleep Centre have won the best patient support initiative category at the Pfizer Excellence in Oncology Awards.

The team, from the Department of Psychological Medicine, led by Professor Colin Espie, were recognised for the therapy programme they developed for cancer patients suffering from insomnia.

The competition judges remarked that: “This study has successfully addressed a huge unmet need for many cancer patients and therefore is of real clinical significance. This initiative could make a big difference to many patients.”

Professor Espie said: “It is hugely satisfying to win this award, which recognises the hard work of our team and the excellent results they have achieved.”

New Deputy Vice-Chancellor appointed

Professor Andrea Nolan has been appointed Senior Vice-Principal and Deputy Vice-Chancellor of the University of Glasgow.

In her new role, Professor Nolan will work closely with new principal, Professor Anton Muscatelli, as he implements his vision for Glasgow University.

Professor Nolan expressed her delight upon taking up her new position.

“I am delighted about my new role in the university. This allows me to continue to build on my contribution as Vice Principal for Learning, Teaching and Internationalisation, and support Professor Muscatelli as he leads Glasgow to further its international reputation and success.”