SRC positions to remain vacant

Craig MacLellan

The nominations have been announced for the Student Representatives’ Council’s (SRC) forthcoming autumn elections, though a number of the positions have once again been left vacant.

The posts of Academic Convenor for Veterinary Medicine and Postgraduate Taught have attracted no nominations, along with the positions of Part- Time Students’ Officer and General Representative (Postgraduate). The positions of Academic Convenor for Veterinary Medicine and Postgraduate are currently vacant from the SRC’s Spring elections.

Despite this, Laura Laws, SRC President, is pleased with the number of students seeking election.

She said: “The SRC was extremely satisfied with the number of students who expressed an interest in standing for the autumn elections.

“While there are still vacant seats in the elections, we are highly encouraged by the number of candidates in this year’s elections and wish each candidate every success with their campaigns.”

Despite the vacancies, elections for the International Students’ Officer and General Representatives remain highly competitive.

The former has six nominations for the position, and the latter has eleven students competing for only five positions.

After poor voter turnout in previous years, Laws explained that the SRC is doing its best to promote student participation in the elections.

She said: “This year, we have had an extremely successful campaign throughout the University of encouraging students to take part in the elections.

“Both the SRC website and Facebook page have been inundated with visitors over the past few months, while our online document display profile on Scribd.com has had nearly 10,000 hits since the start of the semester.”

The Heckling Meeting is due to take place on Tuesday, September 20 at 5.30pm in the Williams Room of the John McIntyre Building.

The elections will take place the following day on October 21. Students can vote online for every position at www.glasgowstudent.net.