Photo: Jani Helle

University falls in world rankings

Nick Sikora

Photo: Jani Helle

The latest edition of the World University Rankings has placed the University of Glasgow amongst the top 100 in the world. The league table, published by Times Higher Education and Quacquarelli Symonds (QS), put the University of Glasgow in 79th place.

This makes it one of only eighteen UK institutions to be placed in the top 100. The ranking placed Glasgow second in Scotland, below Edinburgh and above St. Andrews.

Professor Anton Muscatelli, University Principal, said:

“[The] THE-QS World Ranking reflects the University of Glasgow’s place in global higher education.”

“Over the past several years, the University of Glasgow has gone through a period of substantial change which has allowed us to compete nationally and internationally, and to be counted in the top 100 is testament to the hard work of all our staff.”

The position of 79th marks a drop of six places from its score in 2008, when the university was ranked in 73rd place. It is only the second time that the university has lost places since the league’s inception in 2004.

Laura Laws, President of the SRC, was positive in spite of the university’s lower position. She said: “The SRC are delighted that the University of Glasgow has remained in the top 100 universities in the world.

“The drop in ranking shouldn’t be a cause for concern. The results of the National Student Survey showed that the student experience here at Glasgow is amongst the best in the UK.”

Professor Muscatelli was also keen to ensure that the university maintains its high ranking.

He said: “We will continue to invest in our areas of world-class excellence and we will build on our contribution to the economic, social and cultural wealth of Scotland and beyond.”