Easy as pie – Chilli con squash

Claire Strickett

Who says students have to live on pot noodles and beans on toast? Not us! Each issue our Lifestyle Editor shares a recipe that will keep your finances and your body in good shape.

Gloriously-coloured, comforting and versatile, pumpkins and squashes are a real bright spot in these increasingly gloomy autumnal days, and add a seasonal twist to that perennial student classic, chilli.

Ingredients (serves 4 greedy people)

2 tbsp vegetable oil
1 onion, diced
1 carrot, peeled and diced
1 can of kidney beans, drained and rinsed
1 can of borlotti or cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
½ a good-sized butternut squash, pumpkin or similar, peeled and cut into 2cm chunks
1 tin of chopped tomatoes
1 tbsp stock power or 1 vegetable stock cube, crumbled
½ tsp smoked paprika
½ tsp chilli powder (or adjust to taste!)
½ tsp ground cumin
1 bunch of fresh coriander, chopped

And how to do it…

Heat the vegetable oil in a large saucepan over a medium-low heat. Add the diced onion and carrot and sauté gently until softened, stirring regularly (this should take 10 minutes or so).

Tip in the tinned tomatoes, the cubes of squash and the beans, and add enough water to cover.

Stir in the chilli powder, paprika, cumin and stock powder/cube, increase the heat and bring to the boil.

Reduce the heat and simmer gently, uncovered, for around 40 minutes, stirring occasionally. By now, some of the squash should have started to break down into the sauce. Taste and adjust the seasoning as necessary.

Stir in the chopped coriander just before serving and serve simply with brown rice, or with tortillas and all the trimmings (guacamole, salsa, sour cream, grated cheese…)