News in brief: 09/11/09

Lord Winston visits Glasgow University

Lord Robert Winston, presenter of ‘A Child of Our Time’, visited Glasgow University recently to film footage for the next instalment in the BBC’s flagship science programme.

Lord Winston, who is also Professor of Science and Society and Emeritus Professor of Fertility Studies at Imperial College London, met with psychologists from the Department of Psychology to use the Department’s state-of-the-art face modeling facilities, to analyse the subtle differences between the faces of identical twins.

Dr. Rob Jenkins, lecturer in Psychology, said the results were remarkable and that they would help to explain how parents tell their twins apart.

He said: “The results were quite striking. Our analysis highlights differences in face shape that are difficult to see with the naked eye. These are the differences that the parents tune into in order to tell the twins apart.”

The 10th anniversary edition of the programme, which follows the lives of 25 babies who were born in 2000, will be broadcast in April next year.

Medics awarded for tackling knife crime

Medics against violence, an educational programme run by Glasgow University medical experts, has been recognised at the Scottish Policing Awards.

The educational knife-crime programme, which has been visiting schools across the Strathclyde area, received the prestigious award for outstanding contribution to criminal justice and tackling crime.

The programme, run by Dr. Christine Goodall, David Koppel and Mark Devlin, aims to educate pupils on the dangers of getting involved in knife violence.

Dr. Goodall, a Senior Clinical Lecturer in Oral Surgery and Sedation, expressed her delight at winning the award.

She said: “We are delighted that Medics Against Violence’s work has been recognised in this way. When we set up Medics Against Violence we were determined to make a difference to levels of violence in Strathclyde.”

Dr. Goodall attributed a great part of their success to the continuous support of the Strathclyde police.

She said: “The Violence Reduction Unit and Strathclyde police have been hugely supportive of our work and although it is still early days, if our message makes just one youngster think twice about taking a weapon with them when they leave the house, it will be worth it.”

Campus Police Officer PC Geoff Smith was also recognised due to the advisory role he played in the programme.