News in brief: 30/11/09

Glasgow University hosts malaria conference

The University of Glasgow has hosted a successful meeting of the European Virtual Institute for Malaria Research, (EVIMalaR) which saw the University welcome some of the world’s leading malaria research scientists.

EVIMalaR consists of 42 of the EU’s malaria research groups, from 11 countries and 33 institutes.

Those in attendance included principal of the University, Professor Anton Muscatelli, Professor Paul Hagan, Dean of the Faculty of Biomedical and Life Sciences (FBLS) and Professor Andy Waters of the Wellcome Trust Centre for Molecular Parasitology and the Division of Infection and Immunity.

The University welcomed 41 delegates from 29 international institutes.

Professor Anton Muscatelli explained what hosting the conference meant for Glasgow University.

He said: “We at the University of Glasgow are proud to participate in this initiative not just in terms of the research we do, but also in the support we can give to EVIMalaR.”

The meeting on November 12 was the first since Glasgow University took up the role of host in September.

Student poetry acknowledged at awards

The winners of Glasgow University’s annual poetry awards have been presented with their prizes.

The ceremony, which took place in the Department of Scottish Literature, saw two student awards given out, with each of the winners reading out their entries.

The Alastair Buchan Prize, which is offered annually to the best poem on a prescribed subject, which this year was ‘Homecoming’, was won by Nelly Reinhold, who received £900.

She said: “I was very surprised, as I hadn’t heard anything over the summer. The money is going into my saving accounts, as I have to wait and see if I’m going to get any postgraduate funding.”

Professor Alan Riach, Professor of Scottish Literature, commented on the strength of this year’s work.

He said: “The quality of the entrants was superb. There was variety, integrity and quality in the work, with a whole variety of tones and images.”

In addition, the Mary McKinley Prize was awarded to Leigh Doherty, who won £100 for her winning entry.