Get involved: Glasgow Uni Ski and Snowboard Club

Do you like snow? The query posed by the Glasgow University Ski and Snowboarding Club on their website seems simple enough, but I’ll have to think long and hard when I try to answer this question, which is meant to be aimed at potential recruits. Despite my reservations, I will try to be as diplomatic as possible on my view of snow

This proved tough, as I found myself slipping and sliding my way around the University this week, only occasionally catching myself stopping to admire how the snow has transformed the campus into a magical winter wonderland with snowmen dotted around the place and Christmas card scenes everywhere you look.

But I digress – in reality the one and only thing this weather seems to be good for is winter sport enthusiasts, and in the current climate it might pay to be a member of this merry band of snow lovers. In fact if the weather gets any worse it could be the only mode of transport to get you into University in the morning!

The GUSSC are the biggest club at the University, boasting over 500 members. Last year they were rewarded for their endeavours at the annual GUSA ball, where they were awarded the ‘William Ross Cunningham Memorial Trophy for most Outstanding Club’.

As a member of this award winning society you can look forward to activities such as their regular lessons at the Glasgow Ski and board centre in Bellahouston, where lessons are catered for everyone from the complete beginner, to intermediate and advanced levels.

For the more competitive members the club has one of the best teams in Britain, entering competitions on snow and dry mat virtually every week over the winter. They have been best team in Scotland for three years running and this year became second in Britain.

The GUSSC has won both freestyle and race medals across the British Universities Snow sports circuit this winter. However, they are keen to point out that they are always on the lookout for fresh talent, providing race (and freestyle) training throughout the year for those who want to be part of the prestigious GUSSC team.

The club runs trips north to the Highland ski areas, where GUSSC members receive an exclusive discount on such things as Cairngorm lift passes along with other bargain travel deals.
In addition, members enjoy the facility of quality kit hire from the club hut free of charge, helping to make the sport more affordable and accessible to students.

The GUSSC also organises two incredible holidays each year, this New Year they are taking a record 186 people to ski at the winter resort of Avoriaz in France.
In Easter, the planned ski trip is part of the British University Snow sport Councils massive “main event” where over 2,500 students go out to compete and party in Tignes (more information can be found on cuscevents.com).

Club Captain Rennie Husband is also proud to say that “You will not experience the Alps for less”. But with the Siberian conditions here, I wouldn’t imagine members would have to travel far to try out their skills. In fact club members were to be found on the slopes of the Kelvingrove Park this week; proving that they must be among the few people who are loving this weather.

Some of the advantages to joining the club as including the offer of going on two holidays a year at amazingly good prices, dry slope lessons each semester at the cheapest possible price, club trips to Xscape at Braehead and up north throughout the year, along with free equipment rental.

If the GUSSC sounds like the kind of club for you, then you may also be pleased to hear that membership only costs £15, and with over 500 members the club claim that ‟works out as only 3p a friend”. This seems a bargain price to pay to meet new friends and become part of an award winning club.

The cheap membership cost along with the free kit hire make this one of the most affordable clubs to join at the University. As they say at the GUSSC 2don’t be shy and get involved”.

As with all GUSA sport, all club members are required to join the SRS for insurance purposes. Visit www.gla.ac.uk/services/sport/membership to find out how.

To find out more about the GUSSC contact [email protected] or visit www.gussc.com