GU Riding Club gallop to victory

GURC

The Glasgow University Riding Club recently competed in their first league match of the season.

Held on the 24th November after weeks of hard work by the student riders, training and honing their flatwork and jumping skills, both the GURC’s B and C teams were given the chance to test themselves against teams from Edinburgh and Glasgow Caledonian University.

The B team got their season off to a wonderful start, coming 1st at their Edinburgh rivals home competition. Captain of the GURC Teams Hannah Taylor was delighted with this winning start and stated that special mention should go to Gemma Lord, who got placed individual 1st and Francesca Graham who was placed 3rd.

A great effort by both riders and all members of the team. The sport is difficult enough, but when you add the fact they were competing away from home and on horses they had never ridden before, this shows the courage and bravery of the Glasgow B Team to seal a victory.

Elsewhere the C team came 2nd in their respective league, hosted by Glasgow Caledonian University at Ingliston Stables. Sadly they were narrowly beaten on the day by a tough Edinburgh University B team. Special mention for the day’s effort goes to Pip Laverty, who having got the best dressage score on her horse was placed individual 3rd.

Hannah, whose A Team competition was a casualty of the weather this week expressed her delight in both of the teams, commenting “congratulations to the B and C team….they have got off to a great start this season and have everything to fight for next term, in the remaining league matches….I’m so pleased for them”.

All of the Riding Club members have shown their support to the teams on their forum and facebook pages and will be hoping that this result bodes well for the rest of the season.