Pedal power kick starts GUSA’s Health and Wellbeing Week

GUSA HOSTED ITS FIRST Health & Wellbeing week from 24th – 30th January.

The week consisted of a variety of seminars, activity sessions and taster events for all levels of exercise, health and wellbeing. During the week access to all Sport and Recreation facilities across campus was free of charge, to encourage as large a participation as possible from students. The focus was on sport and exercise, nutrtition and mental wellbeing alongwith oter activities.

The week kicked off with a talk and Q&A from former Glasgow student and ‘man who cycled the world’, Mark Beaumont.

A GUSA spokesperson stated: “Those who managed to attend the launch event last night experienced a truly inspirational and motivating talk from Mark Beaumont. He spoke in length about his two outstanding adventures to date, as well as a sneak preview of the next expedition he will be undertaking”.

Other events throughout the week included AerobathonKick, a 90 minute session bursting with energy at the Activity Hall. Diet & NutritionKick, was a chance to find out how to reduce your body fat and achieve optimum health and energy through eating the right foods.

Elsewhere at the exercise studio in the Stevenson there was the chance to partake in the ‘BuildingPerformance SportThis’ a  one hour session guaranteed to improve your sporting performance. Training principles were explained and involved a practical session to develop students speed and agility.

Over all GUSA have reported the week to be a resounding success and are hoping for bigger and better things for Health & Wellbeing at Glasgow in 2012 and the years to follow.