Glasgow defy underdog tag to surge into cup semi

[box]David Childs
Glasgo 2-0 East Kilbride[/box]

The GUWHC second XI has soared from strength to strength in recent months with their most recent 2-0 victory against the East Kilbride first XI taking them to the semi-final of the West District cup.

Despite entering this match as firm underdogs the Glasgow girls did not let that put them off. They dominated the match from the very beginning. The opposition was taken aback by the force in which the GUWHC came at them. Although they played an excellent passing game and created several chances the girls failed to break through the East Kilbride defence and ended the first half disappointed not to be in front.

Again the girls did not let that dampen their spirits and, knowing that they were the better team, came back strong in the second half. Unfortunately the hockey became a little frantic enabling East Kilbride to gain several penalty corners in a short space of time putting Glasgow under severe pressure. However, the defence kept calm and stayed strong, keeping the ball out of the net.

About ten minutes into the second half, the first goal was finally scored with striker Bethan Eluned Till breaking through and smacking the ball from the top of the D into the back of the net. A beautiful strike that put Glasgow deservedly in front. This put Glasgow in the lead but the pressure was still on with East Kilbride pushing back determined to even the score.

The game continued with increased intensity- East Kilbride had not been expecting to lose and were frantically trying to make a comeback, leading to mistakes and fouls- one of their players was even green carded. It wasn’t until ten minutes before the end of the match that the Glasgow ladies were confident of victory, when they awarded a penalty corner. Katie Wood struck the ball at the goal, with a deflection by Bethan Eluned Till to ensure it reached the target.

The GUWHC second XI were victorious and rightly so. The entire team was aware of the excellent hockey displayed throughout the squad but it was Kate Smith that was voted player of the match for her amazing goal keeping skills throughout the game and especially in the face of numerous penalty corners which kept the side in the game.

The second XI has now progressed to the semi-final of the West District Cup. They will either be playing the East Kilbride 2nd XI or the Clyde West 5th XI. Both teams are potentially incredibly tough opposition with the latter looking to finish at the top of West District One this season.
The team are aware of the challenges ahead but for now are content with this achievement. Julia McGovern, vice captain of the team, emphasised how happy she was saying:

‘Never have I ever been so proud to see a team truly rise to the occasion and completely shoot down the label of being the underdogs.’
So we can only hope the GUWHC second XI continue to disregard the underdog tag as they face even tougher opposition in their upcoming games. Perhaps they can then continue their winning streak and win another cup for the Glasgow University.