Belleville Rendez-Vous

Thalia Addie

For those of you enamoured by Sylvian Chomet’s superb films Belleville Rendez-Vous and The Illusionist or for those who just like well made and thought provoking theatre; you’ll will be excited to hear that a brand new adaptation is coming to Glasgow. On the 11th February, the Arches will be hosting FellSwoop Theatre for a one off stage adaptation of Chomet’s first feature film Belleville Rendez-Vous as part of Glasgow Youth Film Festival 2012.

The story of Belleville Rendez-Vous tells the charming tale of Madame Souza, who battles to rescue her grandson Champion from mafia henchmen who kidnap him as he cycles in the Tour de France. Souza, accompanied by aging jazz singers the triplets of Belleville and her long suffering dog Bruno, encounter a number of obstacles whilst trying to reunite her with her beloved grandson. Capturing many of the unique, intricate and often humorous details of the film many have grown to love; FellSwoop Theatre and their own live jazz quartet will bring both the music and the atmosphere of the film to life.

On top of a touching and impressive performance, the Glasgow Youth Film Festival will be redecorating the Arches cafe in a French theme in honour of the adaption, complete with a continental menu and vintage Tour de France memorabilia. So if you are a lover of Chomet’s work or just a self confessed Francophile, pop down to the Arches for this one off spectacular performance.

Saturday 11 February 2012
Doors 7pm – £7/£5
Under 14s must be accompanied