New GUU President David Lockhart

David Lockhart triumphs in GUU elections

[box]Harry Tattersall Smith[/box]

GUU President David Lockhart

David Lockhart has won the GUU presidential election after defeating rival Christopher Bush by 727 votes to 219.

Lockhart, who stepped in as Libraries convenor in November after Michael Gray resigned from the position, was strong favourite throughout the race with his campaign being heavily supported by outgoing President Chris Sibbald.

Bush a Present Student Member (PSM) competed against favourite Lockhart, as the GUU experienced its first presidential contest in two years.

The loss of the Hive and the development of a new social space has been the issue that had dominated election coverage and Lockhart will have to steer the Union through one of their most difficult periods in recent years.

Ally Farrell has been elected Entertainments convenor after defeating James Kemp whilst Imogen Dewar has been elected debates convenor after edging out Paul Baird.

Outgoing President Chris Sibbald spoke of the successful turnout for the elections, “despite the rain, GUU has seen an incredible turnout of just over 1000. All candidates have shown enthusiasm and kindness of spirit for each other, and the future of the union. The election is a reminder that the GUU is an incredibly vibrant students’ union and runs through the blood of many students at Glasgow University”

Dave Entwistle

who won the other PSM positions?

Paddy Baxter

Fergus Gill, Aisling Holling, Owen Martin, Ilien Mitev, Breffni O’Connor, Tony Docherty, Linzi Hamilton, Mhairi McComish. Karen Cossar and Ava Daneva stay on from the previous year.