Review: King Tut’s New Year’s Revolution

Elizabeth Jakaitis

If you’re looking for inexpensive concerts featuring some promising up-and-coming bands, King Tut’s is where it’s at.  On January 11th, four skilled bands performed at King Tut’s New Year’s Revolution.

Fat Goth took the stage first and wasted no time revving up the audience.  The trio from Dundee played a forceful and energetic set full of dynamic riffs and pounding drums, offering a preview of their upcoming album, Stud.

Next up was Black International, managing to mesh frantic energy and mellow angst in a way that had the whole crowd moving.  Guitarist and lead singer, Stewart Allen, delivered harsh vocals that get into your head and stay there, pounded in by the forceful drumming of Craig Peebles.

Three piece band Poor Things delivered music that left the audience floating in a mellow, positive vibe.  Richard Stratton and Craig Angus shared frontman duties, weaving their vocal gymnastics around each other and the heavy beats of drummer Gav Redford. Their set consisted of catchy guitar ditties that I was humming long after I left.

Headliners Chris Devotion and the Expectations showed up with a certain good humor and swagger that belied their confidence before they even began – and it was warranted.  Their cover of Woody Guthrie’s I Ain’t Got No Home, which appears on their debut album Amalgamation & Capital demonstrated their vocal strength as the band harmonized on the a cappella intro.  The crowd was definitely getting into this number and many others, leaving no doubt that this band – and the others on the bill – can deliver a rockin’ live show.